Sunday, January 8, 2012

In Mississippi

So a lot has happened since I last posted back in December. We've had some plans change too. We decided to start in Pensacola, FL instead of starting on the east coast in St. Augustine. Two friends of ours decided to come with and one had already ridden across the state of Florida years back. He told me it was one of the more boring rides of his life. No elevation change over hundreds of miles and nothing but scrubs and brush to look at. I agreed with him and decided we should start in Pensacola, FL. Our first few days of riding have been great. Weather has been very good for us and wind has been at our backs for most of the riding. We have covered approx. 150 miles over 4 days and decided to take a rest day today in Poplarville, MS (see middle of nowhere). Yesterday was awesome too because we decided to go through New Orleans. I have never been there but Natalie raves about it so we decided to go for it. I severely underestimated that city. It is a non-stop party 24/7. My kind of city. I couldn't stay out for as late as I like due to tired legs and riding all day. We caught a ride from a friend out of New Orleans so we didn't have to drive out of that mess of a city. The south is still pretty devastated from Katrina. You would think it happened yesterday. Many homes still abandoned with FEMA numbers still spray painted on. Really wild. We also stopped overnight in Biloxi, MS which is another awesome city. A friend that we stayed over night with estimated the city is only 40% rebuilt. Where there used to be gorgeous mansions and houses right along the coast is now abandoned. Many empty lots still stand. Very eery. We have been camping all nights except for last night when we stayed in a hotel. People we have met in the south are very nice and accommodating. Most people seem genuinely interested in what we are doing. My legs feel good and so do Natalie's. We are both healthy and doing well. My gooch (area between butt and balls where you sit on your bike seat) has been really rough getting used to riding again but that will improve with time I am sure. Tomorrow we will head west heading back into LA. I think we are stopping in Franklinton, LA or something like that. I can't remember and I don't have my maps with me right now. I will try and update this about once a week or so when I have Internet access. Tomorrow's ride is about 50 miles and the day after that will be about 60. It is nice getting used to a nomadic lifestyle. We really have no plans and often don't know where we will be sleeping that same night. It worried me at first but now I am beginning to like it. There is nowhere we have to be and no schedule to live by. Some people wouldn't like it but we do so far. Best wishes!  I will try and add some pictures at a later time.

~Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment