Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Getting High

We are pretty high up in the mountains of the black range here in NM. We had a pretty good climb today. A little over 2,000 feet in 30 miles. Tomorrow we will be climbing this same distance in only 8 miles. Ahhhhh! Pretty steep climbing tomorrow and lots of it. Hopefully will be ending in Silver City, NM. We are currently in Kingston, NM staying at a lodge here. It is extremely beautiful here with lots of mountains and snow. I think we are currently at around 6,500 feet. Natalie and I are both starting to feel the altitude. Someone from Colorado would probably make fun of us but we are coming from almost sea level in the midwest. I love the scenery here. The weather has been cooperating for us too. We left Las Cruces and traveled to Arrey that day. Stopped in Hatch (which I'm told is the chili capitol of the world) and got a green chili burger which was awesome. Also got chocolate milkshakes at this place. That day was relatively flat and we had a tailwind which allowed us to fly to Arrey in great time. We left Arrey this morning and headed toward Kingston. Pretty much a slow uphill climb the entire way there which was frustrating at times. Sometimes I prefer the steeper climbs to just get them out of the way. We are starting to see snow here which is pretty cool. I took lots of pictures but don't know if I can upload them here or not because the Internet is kind of slow. Last night was very cold and the coyotes kept us up most of the night. They were so loud! I could hear them through earplugs even. A little unnerving to hear that always. We have hiked some trails around this Kingston area too which are really beautiful.  Its funny though; we get out of breath just walking around here on the hills. Need to acclimatize a bit still. Tomorrow we will be passing over 8500 feet and going into Silver City. From there we are staying with a host in Pinos Altos. Then, we will make our way to Tucson. We are both excited to be getting further west. I love the topography and scenery that the southwest has to offer. Some people don't like how dry everything is but I think that Natalie and I both love it. I will try and update in Pinos Altos tomorrow if I can.

~Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment